Hiking with dogs is one of most backpackers' and dog parents' favorite outdoor activities. Most campers say that hiking is an ideal way to bond with your fur buddy. Getting some exercise while enjoyin [...]
5 Types of Water Bottles and How to Choose Yours
Published: Feb 23, 2021
Planning on working out? You will need water. How about engaging in extreme adventures? You will need to be hydrated. But, what water bottle will best fit your needs?
When choosing a water bottle, you should check the types first — namely glass, plastic, aluminum, insulated, and single-wall water bottles. Another important thing is to know a specific bottle's characteristics in terms of durability, temperature insulation, style, design, versatility, height, width, and size.
In this article, we will be discussing the different types of water bottles and their properties. We have also included the factors you need to consider when choosing a water bottle.
Types of Water Bottles
Water bottles are made in four different materials: glass, plastic, single-wall, and insulated stainless steel. Glass bottles are very fragile but very safe to use, and the same thing goes with stainless steel bottles, although glass ones are more durable.
Plastic water bottles are the most convenient and versatile bottles. However, they're also the most harmful to use, similarly to aluminum bottles. Although lightweight and cheap, they're unsafe to use due to the chemicals incorporated while they're being manufactured.
- Glass water bottles
Glass water bottles are considered as one of the safest to use. Glass bottles are chemical-resistant material. Plus, you can ensure that flavored drinks won't leave a smell nor taste after you wash them. However, this kind of water bottle can't maintain the temperature of your beverages.
- Glass is unsusceptible of captivating flavors of any substance. It won't affect the taste nor smell of your water, as long as you clean it.
- These bottles are not manufactured with synthetic elements that can expose you to harmful effects.
- Glass is easy to wash.
- Sometimes, glass water bottles are complemented with cover to prevent potential damages if accidentally dropped.
- Transparent, so it is easy for you to determine the amount of water left inside.
- Safer than other types of water bottles.
- May not preserve the temperature of your drinks. The external surface of the glass water bottle can be affected by the coldness of the beverage inside.
- You still need a cover for the outer area of the water bottle, so that you won't feel the temperature of the drink.
- Can easily break. Glass is a very fragile material, which is why some manufacturers made their glass bottles thick.
- Undeniably heavy. The thicker the bottle, the heavier.
- Can harm you if you accidentally break them.
- Not versatile. The characteristics make the use limited. It is not advisable outdoors, especially when engaging in physical activities.
- More expensive than plastic bottles.
- Insulated stainless steel water bottles
We have included two types of stainless steel water bottles in this article. One of them is the insulated type, and the other is the single-wall stainless steel type. As we go along scrutinizing their characteristics, we found out that they differ in some areas.
Insulated bottles are durable and an ideal liquid container if you plan to hike. They are safe to use and capable of preserving the temperature of your drinks. They also enclose the coldness or hotness inside without affecting the outer surface of the bottle.
- Durable due to their structure made of steel.
- Available in several colors with good designs.
- Cannot break easily.
- Good for people who will engage in tough activities or adventures.
- Can preserve either the cold or hot temperatures of your drinks.
- Similar to the glass type, they are also unlikely to absorb the smell and taste of flavored drinks.
- No synthetic bond, which is good to avoid possible harmful effects.
- Portable and versatile.
- You will not have a problem when holding this type of bottle because the temperature is only bounded inside.
- The surface can be damaged if dropped repeatedly.
- Considered one of the most expensive types of water bottles on the market, just like glass water bottles.
- Preferably restricted to hand-washing only.
- This is lightweight but heavier than plastic water bottles.
- Requires air drying.
- The content is not visible outside.
- Hard to clean.
- Single-wall stainless steel water bottles
They're called single-wall stainless bottles because they literally only have one coating. Unlike the insulated type, these can protect your hands from hot or cold temperatures. This the contrast of both types.
Both types are safe to use, however, single-wall water bottles have limited features. The outer surface of this bottle is fragile and can be easily dented.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Durable and cannot be broken down easily
- Good choice for outdoor activities
- Not harmful to health as no dangerous chemicals are associated with the material of this water bottle.
- Not advisable for hot beverages since it can send heat on the external surface of the bottle.
- You need to cover the outer area if you fill the bottle with hot drinks.
- Lacks the ability to preserve the temperature of your beverages.
- The external surface can be easily damaged if you bump or drop it.
- Plastic water bottles
The most known type of water bottle is plastic. This is very lightweight and durable, which is good for traveling purposes. Plastic bottles are easier to find on the market, as they're the ones that sell the best since they're cheaper than other types of water bottles.
On the other hand, using plastic water bottles can provide you with many advantages. However, their problem is their effect on the environment and human health. Indeed, plastic contains chemicals that are very harmful and dangerous to us if consumed continuously.
- Definitely durable and resistant to falls
- Lightweight and versatile
- Recommended for rough outdoor adventures
- Good for backpacking
- Prominent and can be found immediately on the market
- The content is visible on the outer parts
- Plastic usage is really dangerous for the environment.
- The material is potentially harmful when used consistently.
- Contains chemicals, such as Bisphenol A, which is very dangerous for humans.
- Can absorb smell as time passes by.
- The expiration of its content occurs faster compared to other types of water bottles.
- Not suitable for dishwasher cleaning.
- Aluminum water bottles
We consider these types of water bottles to be the simplest. There are not many characteristics you should avoid, however, there aren't that many advantages either. In terms of weight, they are indeed a lightweight and cheap type of bottle. However, they are unsafe and fragile.
- Alternative to plastic water bottles
- Cheaper than other types of bottles
- The internal walls of this bottle can have harmful effects on health because of chemicals.
- Just like plastic water bottles, aluminum bottles can absorb the flavor and smell of beverages.
- Quite fragile compared to stainless bottles.
- The content is not visible.
Factors to consider when choosing the right water bottle
Before you buy a water bottle, you need to check its durability, temperature insulation, style, design, versatility, and size. It will help you know if the bottle is ideal for you, and capable to endure your activities. These factors are the key points to find the exact bottle you are looking for.
This characteristic is vital and should be associated with the purpose of your usage. If you are unintentionally inclined to breaking things, you should check and prioritize the durability of your water bottle. Doing so can help you avoid buying a new one, over and over again.
For durability, beware of glass and single-wall water bottles. They can easily break or get damaged on their external surface. Unlike plastic water bottles and insulated stainless steel bottles, they can resist accidental bumps and drops.
In extreme activities like hiking, you will need a tough and strong water bottle. You can also use a brittle one indoors and outdoors, but they're usually used in office settings and less complicated places or casual activities.
- Temperature insulation
Some types of water bottles are not capable of enclosing and preserving the temperature of the beverage inside. But, some bottles steam out the hotness or coldness of the drinks outside the bottle, which hampers you to hold them. It's a great advantage if your bottle can compress the temperature internally. This way, you can carry it anytime you want, no matter what.
Obviously, insulated stainless steel water is the first in line, if you ask. If you have a bottle with good insulation, you can handle it without covering the external part. It is an ideal type which you can use wherever you may go. The temperature of your bottle will not be an issue.
However, don't ever buy a plastic or single-wall water bottle if you plan to use it to drink hot beverages. Indeed, plastic cannot bear scorching temperatures, and it can melt, while single-wall stainless steel is difficult to hold because it transfers the heat outside the handle part.
- Style and design
Most of us don't only buy things because they are high-quality; we also look into their outer features. After all, who doesn't like an aesthetically pleasing design? You can find a lot of water bottles with a good combination of impressive performance and attractive styles.
The feel of water bottles is a plus, especially if you constantly use them. Although, note to avoid plastic water bottles as they somehow lack these features. They can absorb the smell and flavor on the walls of the bottle inside. The disadvantage is that, when you put water in it, you can still smell the last beverage you drank.
- Versatility and usage
If your items are versatile, you won't have any problem using them everywhere. When it comes to water bottles, you should look into the features and see how they match your purpose. You'll know if they can withstand the type of activity you're planning to engage in by checking their characteristics, which make them flexible. With such, it will be easy and convenient for you to use your water bottle without worrying about its capacity.
From our perspective, versatility also depends on where are you going to use it. Insulated stainless steel is one of the best options in this area. Plastic water bottles are also adaptable, however, it is only limited to warm and cold drinks.
We will define three categories of water bottle sizes — small, medium, and large — into three subcategories.
- 6 to 8 ounces: If you are a sporty person who is engaging in running or biking, this size is ideal for you. You will need to fill up to prevent dehydration as these activities will totally sweat you up. Since this is a small bottle, you can just place it in your waist pack without hesitating about the weight.
- 16 ounces: This size can be possibly used indoors, or on trips and hikes. With a small water storage, this is considered a portable bottle. It's easy to carry along with you. Bear in mind that we need to hydrate, especially when we are exhausted or faced with a stressful situation, like in a work setting. You can also use these for coffee.
- 20 ounces: You can use these indoors, on your trips, outdoor activities, and regular hiking. They are the middle size of this review, which means they are versatile. Medium-sized water bottles allow the right amount of liquid to hold inside. Meaning they're neither too small nor too big. These bottles are also effortless to clean. Their weight and size are perfect to be used in any kind of activity.
- 32 ounces: These are specifically for exercise, athletic activities, and extended hikes. They can provide you with almost half of your water needs for the whole day. What is good about this size is that it can store a bigger amount of water than normal, and you won't have to worry about filling it every now and then.
Portable bottles are the best ones to carry, but when you need a bigger amount of water, a large size is more recommended. However, in contrast, a huge storing space can be heavy, which is not good for packing. Large-sized water bottles are also suggested if you go to a gym or engage in any sports or activities that are set to a specific place.
- 40 ounces: The purpose of 32-ounce bottles is also applicable to this size. This is perfect for a lengthy outdoor pursuit. It can possibly provide water for a group. Being outdoors requires you to stay hydrated, and sometimes, it is hard to find a supply. Having a large container is an advantage but also a disadvantage. But, for the preservation of enough water, this is a benefit.
Water bottles are available with different handles. You can either choose not to have any handle, or to have a flexible or a rigid one.
- Water bottles with no handles are hard to carry. You can grip them, however, it gets tiring after a while. This is like holding a mug without a handle; hard to hold. Also, it may hurt you to hold the outer surface, especially if your water bottle is not insulated.
- A flexible handle is a small handle for hanging purposes, and can be found attached to the lid. Though it allows you to carry your bottle using your fingers on the lid, it is still sometimes burdensome. The lids on such water bottles are screwed when you open or close them. In some instances, it is hard to open because you fastened your bottle too tightly.
- Rigid handle types have a similar design in terms of flexibility. However, the holder on the lid is larger compared to flexible handles. We recommend you choose rigid handles for large bottles because you also need to carry their weight. If your large bottle has a flexible handle, it can possibly be hard to carry it.
- Width and height
The size determines the amount of water you can fill a water bottle with. However, these sizes can be stout or tall. So, if you need a medium, but thin water bottle, you can't just pick a specific size. On the other hand, larger bottles are available in either wide or thin types. That will depend on how you want to pack it. The most essential aspect to regard is whether it will be hard for you to carry it.
The different types of water bottles can be the most substantial area to examine. However, the features of a specific type of bottle may also not be the best for you. It is still recommended to double-check the characteristics before you consider purchasing a water bottle that will fit your needs.
For intense and extreme adventures, you will need durable, yet lightweight bottles. Meanwhile, for casual use, like to use in an office setting, you can buy insulated bottles. Manufacturers also inform users of the lifespan of their products, so it will be easy for you to identify a model's limitations.
I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.